HS2 is starting its procurement process
The first HS2 Supply Chain Conference took place at the ICC in Birmingham on Tuesday 5 November 2013. We’re pleased to report that the event was a resounding success, enabling suppliers to meet with the HS2 team, as well as companies from the wider infrastructure supply market.
The overall objective of the programme was to raise awareness and understanding of the HS2 procurement process, and build long-term positive relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders and key influencers at regional and national levels.
The key areas of focus at the Supply Chain Conference were:
- Promoting the commercial opportunities the project will bring to the UK
- Explaining what skills will be required from the workforce
- Detailing how companies can prepare to get involved
The event was launched by Louise Brooke-Smith of RICS with welcome speeches from Douglas Oakervee CBE and Alison Munro, followed by a panel debate and a key-note address from the Secretary of State for Transport, the Rt. Hon. Patrick McLoughlin MP.
The afternoon offered seminars which demonstrated how we can work together to deliver a better end product, covering topics like Sustainable Construction Methods, Skills & Capacities and Collaboration.
Of the 800 attendees from 600 different organisations:
- 55% of organisations were SMEs
- 51% of organisations were in the Construction & Civil Engineering or Infrastructure, Rail and Transport sectors
- 46% of participants were CEOs, Chairpersons, Partners, Managing Directors or are at the Executive and Director level
- Of the UK based organisations, 76% were based outside of London
- The total global turnover of all registered organisations was over £450bn
Collaboration was the most subscribed seminar at the Supply Chain Conference.
If you would like to receive information about future events and be added to the HS2 Supply Chain distribution list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also join in on our online discussion on twitter using the hashtag: #HS2SupplyChain
If you wish to view the presentations from the Conference please click the links below: