Go to content

Find out if your home is affected

People who live in or own property near the High Speed Two route could be affected by the project. It’s important to get the facts, find out where you stand, and know how HS2 Ltd can help.

Construction for the first phase of the new HS2 railway, between London and the West Midlands, is underway. In addition, a route for part of Phase Two, from the West Midlands to Crewe, has been announced.

The rest of Phase Two, towards Manchester and Leeds, will be considered by Parliament separately. Importantly, the new HS2 railway will integrate with the existing railway network, including the West Coast and East Coast Mainlines.

How your home is affected depends on the location of your property and which phase of HS2 affects you. You can use our interactive map to explore the route. You can also contact our 24/7 Helpdesk to find out precise location information for your property in relation to the route.

Safeguarding and statutory blight

Safeguarding is a planning tool to help the government and HS2 Ltd protect the land needed to build and operate the railway from conflicting development.

The aim of safeguarding is not to prevent development in the area surrounding the line of route but to ensure that no conflict is created. As well as helping to protect the land needed to build and operate the railway, the safeguarding directions also trigger something known as ‘Statutory Blight’. This means that property owners within the safeguarded area may be eligible to serve a Blight Notice asking the Secretary of State for Transport to buy their property prior to it being needed for construction. You can find out more about submitting a Blight Notice.

Claiming Compensation if you receive a Notice (Phase One only)

If you live close to the line of route, you may receive a Notice from us. This means we may need to access your land or property to undertake surveys, or in some cases to temporarily occupy or permanently acquire it. If you do receive a Notice, you may be able to claim compensation from us.

Our set of guides explain how you can claim compensation and what you need to do. There is also a guide to how HS2 Ltd deals with claims for compensation relating to a notice.

Property Schemes

If your land or property is affected by the construction or operation of HS2, there’s help available. Our property schemes provide that help. Find out more about our property schemes.

Ground Settlement

As we start to build HS2, we need to carry out excavations for structures like tunnels, portals and shafts, and this work can cause small movements in the ground, called settlement.

Find out more about Ground Settlement and how to register for settlement deeds.