Go to content

Our Express Purchase Scheme offer relaxes some of the rules that normally apply to statutory blight, making it easier for owner-occupiers to sell their property to the government.

This scheme applies to properties in the surface safeguarding area.

You can serve a blight notice on the government if you are:

  • an owner-occupier, have a freehold of the property or a lease which has more than 3 years left to run; and
  • you have been occupying the property for at least 6 months or, if the property is empty, you have occupied it for at least 6 of the last 18 months.

If the government accepts the blight notice it will buy the property at its unblighted open market value, as if there were no plans for HS2.


Statutory Blight and Express Purchase guide and FAQs

For more information about Statutory Blight and our Express Purchase scheme, or to find answers to a number of frequently asked questions, please see the following documents.

  1. Doc
  2. Doc

If you want to submit a Blight Notice to us, please send it to us using one of the following forms alongside a completed Property Information Questionnaire:

  1. Doc
  2. Doc
  3. Doc
  4. Doc

Alternative Dispute Resolution

When it is not possible to reach agreement by direct negotiation, in some cases a case will need to progress through the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). If you have successfully served a Blight Notice on HS2 Ltd and are currently considering referring your case to the Upper Lands Tribunal (Lands Chamber) please refer to the following guidance note.

  1. Doc

    Alternative Dispute Resolution

    • PDF,
    • 194.16 KB,
    • 18 pages

Collection history