Upcoming works at our site on Breakspear Road South
Work item: HS2-EW-SCS-Ph1-Ar0-So-S2-UT-13-8/6/2021
Work Item Summary
- Project Phase
- Phase 1
- Breakspear Road South
- Worksite Name
- Breakspear Road South
- SCS JV
- Type of works
- Early construction works, Piling
- Estimated Start Date
- Estimated End Date
Work item details
Works are ongoing at our site to build the new bridge over Breakspear Road South and the River Pinn. From the 30 August 2021, we will be carrying out the following activities:
• Pile breakdown on both sides of the road
• Installation of stone column foundations for the embankments
• Removal of the current foot bridge over the River Pinn
• Installation of the temporary haul road over the River Pinn
• Completion of the temporary car park
• Installation of sheet piles either side of the road to support
• Excavation of the foundations on the embankment which will
be replaced with granular material to the bridge alignment
• Start of work to build the bridge abutments
We will continue to monitor noise, dust and vibration throughout our works and ensure that measures are in place to minimise disruption.
Please see the following pages for more information on the upcoming works over the next few months.
There is a separate notification for the diversion of the Celandine Way as it passes underneath our works.
Activity Start date and Estimated end date:
Remove old U46 footbridge w/c 27 Sept – 15 Oct
Install haul road bridge w/c 04 Oct – 28 Nov
Car Park Works ongoing – 20 Sept
Pile breakdown (Breakspear Road South Underbridge) w/c 23 Aug (west abutment) – 15 Oct (east abutment)
Gatemead stone column foundation test area w/c 30 Aug – 19 Nov
Sheet piling for Breakspear Road South- East abutment w/c 13 Sept – 24 Sept
Raised embankments w/c 22 Nov – Mid 2022
Bridge abutments W/C 11Oct – 22 Nov
• Footbridge removal – existing U46 structure removed and River Pinn protected.
• Haul road – once River Pinn protected a temporary heavy-duty bridge constructed for lorry haul road.
• Car Park – relocation for staff vehicles that are currently on the HS2 route alignment.
• Pile breakdown – removal of excess concrete from the bored piles to the bridge abutments.
• Stone column – different form of foundation construction to the embankments.
• Sheet piling – Temporary steel sheet piling that will allow work to either side of the road on the abutments.
• Raised embankments – on the approaches to the bridges the route alignment will be built up with compacted granular material.
• Bridge abutments – abutments are part of the substructure on either side of the road that will provide support to the superstructure (deck) of the bridge
Download information relating to these works
We'd like your feedback
Please help us improve how we keep you informed about how we're delivering the railway by giving us feedback on your experience.